It is very common to find countless online stores that have invested a lot of money in an excellent web design and then try to manage it properly to make the project profitable. But there is something they have not foreseen: A good strategy.
First of all what we have to be clear is what we want to sell. If it is a company that has a baby store then here there is not much to choose from, in this case we will sell clothes and accessories for the baby. There may also be the case where you want to sell online, but do not know exactly what to sell, here you have to make a more definite study. Let’s start from the condition that you already know what you want to sell.
The first thing you have to do is see what your competition is doing. It is very important to stand out in some way and see gaps that you can slip through initially, because at first it will be difficult to break through some barriers, which will eventually break down. The steps to follow are:
- Study of the products. See what products are selling
- Price analysis. It is important to know how the competition is working in economic matters.
- Keyword analysis. Know what keywords the competition has prioritized and especially that Rankin occupies in them.
- Level of penetration and positioning. It is convenient to know at what distance we have at the beginning to the competition, to be able to see how the distance is shortening in terms of positioning or lengthening.
- Online Reputation. It is possible that a page may have a very good positioning in individual products, but when searching for its brand, negative comments appear. It is important to define which companies they are and how they are ranking.
- Number of orders. Here you may be wondering: But how can I know the number of orders of an online store? Well, very simple, in the next point I will explain how to do it.
Analysis of the number of orders of the Competition
This is something that we will never know for sure. But even so we can get very close to the real numbers they are working with. It’s a little trick to know the number of competitor orders.
- Monday: Place an order with that company. Look at the order number and cancel it instantly.
- Monday (1 hour later): Re-order again. Look at the order number and cancel it again.
- Monday Afternoon (last hour): Place a new order and cancel it.
- Tuesday (noon): Place a new order, look at the order number and cancel it.
- Sunday: Place a new order, view the number and cancel it.
It is important that each order is made with a different account, so as not to raise suspicions, and above all cancel it at the same time, because what we do not want is to make refunds or anything like that, so we will do things right.
E-commerce Design Analysis
We must bear in mind that not only is it enough to be good in the sector and know the sector very well, but also the Site must offer a very good shopping experience . And this goes through the following factors:
- Page Colors: We must choose the right colors for the store, whether header, boxes and purchase buttons. You can learn how to choose them in this post where I talk about colors for e-commerce.
- Analysis of the front page and structure. We must take into account that we must make an analysis as objective as possible of the structure of the Site. In this way we will have to choose which products will be shown, where we will show the information and contact links.
- Cart structure. We must define how the purchase summary will be shown, what data will be entered and when the payment will be requested. It is convenient that the customer can buy without too many clicks and too many written fields.
- Product page. It should adequately show both the product and its features and conditions of purchase. The cost of the product and shipping costs. It is also advisable to use the data from web analytics to offer other products for purchase.
Positioning of the website
Once we are clear about what to sell, how to sell it and what competition we will have, we need to position it ahead of the competition. To do this we must conduct a thorough study of the competition and our own page to know how we have to do both ONPage positioning and OffPage Positioning. In this way we must take into account the following details:
- SEO OnPage. We must take into account what we want to position and for this we must adapt the contents of the Site to achieve an Ideal positioning.
- SEO OffPage. The LinkBuilding strategy is key in this process, since the choice of links must be done carefully to avoid problems in the future with penalties of Google’s algorithm that regulates it: Penguin.
- Press releases. It is very important that if we want to get the best links and quality, we must get the media to echo those news that may be newsworthy and thus be able to get a high quality link.
- Comments in the Forums. With this of the comments and forums must be extremely cautious because a bad choice of forums can lead to a severe penalty that can be very difficult to recover. However, the choice of some positive forums can be interesting to maintain that slight rise in the positioning graphs. Choosing forums of the same topic and of great repercussion can be positive.
Social Networks: Incorporate a Community Manager
It is true that there are times when you do not have the resources to incorporate into the staff a person responsible for carrying the social communication of the company. But that does not mean we should stop those social actions that will bring visits and therefore sales to our E-commerce. It is best to take a Social Media Course to know how to do it. Here I bring you some basic notes to keep in mind:
- Do not do it from the personal profile. Create a Facebook Page to publish the necessary in an official channel of the company.
- Official Twitter account. Sometimes it is not so important depending on the sector in which the e-commerce works. But at least you should have a Twitter profile to publish everything.
- Other important accounts. Pinterest, Instagram, Twenti, Flickr and other accounts necessary for that purpose.
E-mail Marketing campaigns are necessary and very important to maintain the loyalty of buyers on your page. In any E-commerce you need a recurring that makes the web has that loyalty sales activity that is needed.
- Delivery frequency. You have to take into account when to send emails for each campaign. In Groupon or Chéquelo type offers companies should be sent daily, however for normal e-commerce the most convenient is a weekly email.
- Choose the right platform. We can program them in a personalized way or do it with a specialized program Mailchimp type.
- Choose the most saleable products. To do this we have to use web analytics to find out which products are visited more, which products sell more and in which customers spend more time.
With these six points we will get to have a sales strategy that makes the products are sold and the web starts. There are other points to take into account such as SEM (google adwords, Facebook ads, etc), plus I take it for granted that every E-commerce must have a Blog with very good content. Although you can always get help from a technician who can contribute with his professional vision to help you to implement this strategy.